9/12/08

The Sustainability of Ubuntu

I recently converted by laptop from an XP machine to one double booting with Ubuntu (Linux). I initially intended to make Ubuntu my back-up OS in case I had problems with XP. When I finally got to boot and install, I fell in love with look. I had the "hardy heron" desktop and the nice font to match it. As I was setting it up (i.e. getting my wireless card to work,etc.) I came across a video file of Nelson Mandela talking about the essence of Ubuntu.

What is Ubuntu anyway? This is a Zulu word meaning "a person is a person through other people" It involves an open community sharing resources. When asked about ubuntu, Mandela says for him, it is about people entertaining passing travellers even if they don't ask for it. It is the value of community and sharing. It is so much close to our Filipino concept of Bayanihan, where you care for others in your community. It somehow also reflects, the sense of community of heartland America.

It is quite ironic that modern software technology could be used to advocate a traditional human value. Ubuntu Linux claims it is "Linux for humans". Why? Because somehow it goes against the dehumanization of our man resulting from industrialization and urbanization. Ubuntu also makes software accessible. I see it as an enabling tool for the sustainable development of indigenous people. Where they can keep their culture yet be in touch with the world. With wider access of software, we can also reduce the need for transportation and be more efficient in our fossil fuel use.

Using open source software, catalyzes development, that is economically, socially and ecologically balanced.


Mandela talking about ubuntu

0 comments:

Make Money

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP