9/6/08

Sustainability and Assembly Toy Kits

Was offline for a few days because my PC crashed.  While it was frustrating not to work and blog, it gave me time to finish work on my son's robot arm kit. I purchased the kit at Alexan, 5F SM Megamall Bldg A, for PHP1500.  I got this for his birthday to support his drive to build things.  We assembled the motor modules, put together the sections of the arm/gripper and finally the control box.  After 3 days, we are playing with it.  


How does the assembly of a robot arm have anything to do with sustainability? A whole lot. For one, it reminds us of the hard work of putting things together. It teaches us that resources and effort were put in making one toy.  It also opens our minds to the idea that anything built can be repaired. If you can build it, you can fix it.  Ultimately, it ushers in a mindset of sustainable consumerism replacing our "everything disposable" mentality.  The bonus of a sense of accomplishment of building your own toy comes with it.

I threw my son the idea of building his own toys.  He now wants to build his own remote controlled car.  I told that we can possibly build our own computer.  My daughter wants us to build a Barbie Lifter (i.e. Whatever that is..) for her birthday.  

With all this things, I hope and pray that the next generation becomes a better steward of God's planet.


Robot Arm kit from Alexan

0 comments:

Make Money

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP