10/24/08

Real Sustainability

Last sunday, the family visited the base of Ministries without Borders in Gen. Trias, Cavite. This is a faith based NGO doing educational and health care work in areas of the Philippines. They have a child care program covering abandoned child care and child nutrition. They also have maternity care and work with indigenous communities in Mindoro and Mindanao.

What impressed me this this group was that while they are engaged in the social aspect of development, they are heavily environmental. The buildings in their facility had the proper orientation which allowed for daylighting without heat coming in. They had high ceilings which also alleviated heat. It was surprising to be cool in a building in the middle of rice fields without airconditioning.

Another thing that impressed me was that they segregate. They had big bins for recyclables (tins, bottles). I felt ashamed because I myself don't do it! I agree that this is the right thing to do but I never saw this done in simplicity and dedication as these folks do. They also mentioned that social benefit in that their local workers could get extra money when they sold the recyclables to junk shops.

I guess, there really is something when Christians take something to heart and do it. There is definitely something transformational when a cause is adapted into Christian work ethic which cannot be seen in secular organizations. More power to Ministries without Borders!

0 comments:

Make Money

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP